Are you interested in knowing when to plant tulip bulbs? If you are thinking of filling your pots or a part of your garden with these beautiful flowering plants, it is good that you inform yourself as much as possible about how it is, how to plant them and when to do it, how to take care of them, etc.
At EcologíaVerde we have several guides on tulips but in this article we will focus on talking about the season for tulips to plant their bulbs and get them to grow successfully. Therefore, if you are interested in discovering when to plant tulips from its bulbs, don’t miss this gardening guide.
When to plant tulips – Northern Hemisphere
In general, tulip bulbs can be sown over 6 months to half a year. Nevertheless, the best time to plant tulips is in autumncan be made from September to January in the Northern Hemisphere. In fact, what is really important is to bear in mind that you have to sow them when it is not very hot, but always before the frost begins.
This moment is the one that most favors the growth of tulip bulbs, but if they are planted much earlier, with too much heat and the soil is too hot, or after this time, already with frost, the bulbs will not develop or they will do very little. In this way, they will grow better and the tulips will bloom between the months of April and May.
When to plant tulips – southern hemisphere
Now that you know when to plant tulips in the Northern Hemisphere, we are going to talk about the Southern Hemisphere, because as you already know, the months change with respect to the seasons.
If what you want is to know when to plant tulip bulbs in the southern hemisphere, take note that the best time is also autumn, since, in general, it is the most suitable temperature for the bulbs to develop. However, in the case of the South, autumn is, more or less, March to May. The best is plant the tulip bulbs from early April to late June, I eat very late. In this way, they will bloom during the months of September and October.
Since you already know the basics of time to plant tulips in the ground or in a pot, we recommend these other gardening guides from EcologíaVerde on How to conserve tulip bulbs and How to plant tulips. You can also see the video on the conservation of the bulbs below.
How to care for potted tulips
Since you already know the time to plant tulips, let’s talk about some tips on how to plant tulips:
- When you go to choose a tulip bulb to buy, make sure that it has a somewhat hard and consistent touch, that it has a thin skin, like an onion. If you notice something, wrinkled or soft, do not choose it because it will not be in good condition.
- To interrupt the dormancy of the bulbs and get them to start growing, it is important that they are cold before sowing.
- It is more advisable to buy tulip bulbs grown in the area where you live, or from the same country, because imported tulip bulbs from other places with other climates can have different cycles. In such a case, they would not grow well and would not flower in different places.
- It needs cool soil to thrive, so a good time to plant it is when the soil temperature is stable and below 15°C.
- This type of bulb does not hold up well to long periods out of the ground. For this reason, we recommend planting it throughout the same week of its purchase.
- Make holes in the ground that are triple the height of each bulb when you go to plant them.
If in addition to tulips you are interested in planting any other plant in your garden or in your pots, we advise you to read these other EcologíaVerde posts that includes 15 autumn plants for the garden or terrace and 15 bulb plants: names, characteristics and photos.
now that you know when to plant tulips and also a little more about their care, we recommend you expand this knowledge with this other specific article on How to care for tulips in a pot and this video on our YouTube channel dedicated to this topic.
If you want to read more articles similar to When to plant tulipswe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment