The walnut is a very valuable tree not only for its excellent fruits (the walnuts) but also for its wood, of great quality and valid for making a lot of furniture. It can reach 27 meters in height, with a diameter that can reach 4 meters. It has both male and female flowers, the first ones without being protected by the leaves, while the second ones are grouped in a bouquet.
The walnut is born from the female flowers, a fruit that is large and inside which you will find the delicious dried fruit that is used both to give a special touch to any dish and to eat it raw without anything to accompany it. The walnut tree flowers in early spring, while the fruits usually arrive in the fall. if you want to know everything about him cultivation and care of walnutkeep reading this EcologíaVerde article.
Walnut tree care
The basic care of the walnut tree are:
- Temperature: it does not require an exact temperature to be able to develop, but it is very sensitive to frost, especially those that arrive in spring and early autumn. You also have to be careful with very high temperatures since if they occur in less humid climates they will cause the nuts to be empty.
- I usually: it adapts very well to all types of soil, although the one that does best is the one that is well drained and has a neutral pH. If you plant bare root you will have to use an organic substrate and add a growth stimulator for the roots.
- Irrigation: it is the most important care and to which more attention must be paid so that the fruits are of good quality. Sprinkler irrigation is not a good option as it can cause disease, so it is better to use a hose or drip. There must always be humidity, but without flooding.
- Pass: you have to apply it before planting the tree, and then pay regularly with an organic fertilizer that is suitable for this type of tree.
- Plagues and diseases: the ones that most often affect this tree are the aphid or woodworm or walnut worm. There are some diseases that are specific to walnut trees, such as bacteriosis (appears with sprinkler irrigation) or black disease.
- Pruning: it is done mainly to control the size of the tree, to remove old branches and make room for new ones and also to enhance fruiting.
If you want to read more articles similar to Walnut cultivation and carewe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment