In this EcologíaVerde article called hydroponic plants: types, list of examples and how to grow them, you will be able to learn everything about this topic. To begin with, we clarify that when we talk about hydroponic plants, we are not really referring to a type of plant, but to a way of growing plants that can thrive very well with this technique. The hydroponic cultivation It consists of producing plants without using soil, so that the plant develops only in water, to which all the necessary nutrients for cultivation are applied.
Hydroponic cultivation is applicable to almost any species of plant and it is very common to use it for ornamental species, since thanks to it the flowers are preserved for longer. However, although this type of cultivation is practiced more and more, it is not a recently invented technique: the Aztecs already practiced it in ancient times in their floating gardens.
List of examples of hydroponic plants
As we have mentioned, practically any plant can be grown hydroponically. This type of technique is used more and more idly by some lovers of gardening and horticulture, since it is a different and striking way of having a crop.
However, in some territories where the land is not fertile or there is not an abundance of land but there is plenty of water, hydroponic farming can become established as part of the industry, since in addition to producing food that is richer in nutrients and healthier, it get in less time.
Despite this, there are some plant species for hydroponic cultivation which are very popular for their individual characteristics:
How to grow hydroponic plants
Hydroponics is called the agriculture of the future thanks to the fact that it produces healthier and more nutritious crops, better optimizing the resources that are provided to the plant, in addition to requiring less fertilizers and pesticides. In this other article we explain more about Hydroponics, a more ecological and sustainable agriculture.
Every day more people are encouraged to practice home hydroponics. if you want to practice vertical or horizontal hydroponics to have your own garden in water, you will need a hydroponic kit domestic, which you can buy in specialized stores or assemble yourself.
Later, we show how to make a more basic home hydroponic grow that can be done. One that you have probably seen in photographs or videos is the NFT hydroponic system, which is very striking because it works through a series of pipes and channels that are placed in several rows like a vertical garden. In them, the nutrient solution is in constant circulation, so that the water never stagnates and the plant takes what it needs at all times.
In these cases, it is much more advisable to buy one of the systems and kits that are sold, since they are more complex to assemble and require a higher technical level.
Regarding the care to grow hydroponic plants at homewe must bear in mind that, apart from the technique with water, each species or type of hydroponic plant may have different needs, so we recommend that when purchasing seeds or seedlings you ask the store specialist about the specific needs of said plant (light, temperature, nutrients, etc.).
How to make a homemade hydroponic culture
To finish talking about the cultivation of hydroponic plants, we explain how to make a homemade hydroponic crop in an easy way. To do this, you will need the following:
Materials for home hydroponics
- An air pump. You will not be able to make this easily, since it must be a pump that oxygenates the water, like the ones used in aquariums. Without this oxygenation of the water, the roots will not develop properly and contamination could occur in the water. Thus, it is best to buy one.
- An opaque container. A box, basin, large tube, or other container of sufficient depth. It needs to be opaque because the roots need darkness.
- Germinated seeds. You can germinate them yourself or buy them prepared.
Step by step to make a hydroponic crop
- Make a hole in the bottom of your chosen container. It is important that you have a plastic cap or some waterproof material with which you can cover it.
- Fill the container with water, without reaching the rim. At the same time, prepare the lid of the container by preparing a few holes the size of those that can be made with a drill, all the same size.
- Place the germinated shoots in the holes, so that the roots are well covered by water, and then secure them with the substrate of your choice. Some popular hydroponic substrates are pumice stone and gravel.
- Place your hydroponics in a lighted area but where it does not receive the most intense hours of natural light. Do not forget to add the oxygenating pump to the water and program it so that it activates at least a few minutes every 3 hours. In addition, you will need to apply a nutrient solution for hydroponic crops to the water and the substrate. Here, each species has its own needs and frequencies.
Here we explain much more about How to make a hydroponic crop at home.
If you want to read more articles similar to Hydroponic Plants: Types, List Of Examples And How To Grow Themwe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment