Jasmine is a plant tremendously valued by gardening enthusiasts, not only for the beauty of its flowers but also for the pleasant fragrance that some of its varieties offer. It is actually a whole genus of plants, the jasmine, and not of a single species, hence there are different types of jasmine, among which is the climbing garden, summer or winter, with flowers of different colors and flowering times.
If you want to learn how to grow this plant, which is also simple due to its rusticity, join us in this EcologíaVerde article in which you will learn when and how to plant a jasmine step by step.
When to plant a jasmine
Due to the fact that, as we have said, jasmines are a whole genus of plants with a great variety among themselves, a universal time cannot be given to plant them all. We recommend you meet several of them in this other post about 9 types of jasmine.
If we are going to plant in an indoor pot, the time of year is quite indifferent, since we will be the ones who will control the climate in which the plant is found. Outdoors, on the other hand, most jasmines tend to be planted or in spring or autumn. Some species and varieties tolerate a summer planting, but especially in hot climates this can put serious stress on the plant, which may have to withstand high temperatures or drought conditions in a still very vulnerable state.
How to plant a potted jasmine
if you wonder how to plant jasmine in a pot To have it indoors, on a balcony or terrace, follow these steps:
- Choose a suitable pot: The size of the jasmine pot is quite important, and you will need a fairly large container for the plant to thrive. In the same way, it is vital that the pot has drainage holes.
- Fill the pot with substrate: you need it to be a mix with good drainage, which you can encourage by placing a bed of pebbles at the bottom of the pot. You can prepare your own substrate by mixing a third of coconut fiber, a third of peat and another third of earthworm humus, to which you can then add a handful of vermiculite. This will give a light substrate with very good drainage.
- Plant the jasmine seed: do it at a shallow depth, covering it later with a layer of substrate. Water with a sprayer to provide sufficient moisture to the substrate, and keep it moist but without flooding until it germinates.
- Locate the pot: it is best to put it in a semi-shaded area, somewhere illuminated but without direct sun. When the plant grows, depending on the variety, it may need to be placed in direct sun or in semi-shade.
How to plant a jasmine by cuttings
The process to follow to learn how to plant a jasmine by segments or by cuttings It is much simpler, since we will not need to go through the entire seed germination process.
- Make a cutting of the jasmine plant you have in order to reproduce it and have a new one. Here we explain in a simple way how to make a cutting.
- In this case, we can go directly to plant the cutting in its final location, either in a pot or outdoors. It is preferable that we keep it protected from the very intense sun in its first weeks, even if it is a sun variety.
- Water abundantly the first few days, always without flooding the substrate or the soil.
- Space the irrigations later to water only when the substrate asks for it when it dries. Depending on the weather, this could mean about a weekly watering.
How to plant a jasmine vine
In the case of climbing jasmineThe most normal thing is to always plant it outdoors. Follow these tips:
- The process is very similar to that of planting in a pot, with the main difference that, when the seedling begins to have a certain height, it will need us to provide it with a stake or guardian of another type to be able to grow well.
- At first you have to help jasmine to curl up around the tutor, but as he grows he will do it alone.
- It is also important to remember how vital it is to jasmine that the soil offers a good drainage.
- Before planting, check if the area absorbs water well without getting waterlogged.
- Also, when planting it, make sure that the soil covers its roots well and that the plant is well supported, squeezing the substrate a little with your hands.
If you are wondering how much jasmine grows, in optimal conditions it can reach 6 meters in height. A visual and olfactory spectacle! If you like vine or climbing jasmine, we encourage you to get to know these other 24 climbing plants.
These are the care more important than jasmine they need to grow well:
- Irrigation: Both in a pot and outdoors, jasmine will need watering whenever its soil has dried out to the top. Do not puddle when watering, and pay special attention to the water in the warm months.
- I usually: the most important thing is the drainage, which must be as good as possible. Like most plants, it will appreciate a soil or substrate enriched with compost or earthworm humus.
- Subscriber: once a month in the warm months, jasmine needs a supply of fertilizer, either chemical or organic, as we always recommend. Learn here How to make homemade organic fertilizers.
- Pruning: An annual pruning will give strength and a firmer structure to the plant, as well as regularly removing damaged or dry branches and leaves. In this other EcologíaVerde guide you will learn when and how to prune jasmine.
Now that you know these basic points on how to care for jasmine, we recommend you consult this other, more specific guide on Caring for jasmine in a pot.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to plant a jasminewe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment