How to get rid of slugs in your garden? They are like snails without their shell. There are those who see them as despicable, especially when it comes to gardeners. They are slimy, crawling little gastropods eating the leaves in your garden and the soil products of your plants. Instead of letting them take control of your garden, you will have to move to kill your plants.
They are living beings, but you will have to make a decision if you do not want your garden to end up devoured by them. There are those who opt for baits and traps, and others who use natural predators to get rid of slugs and not feel so guilty, because after all “it’s nature”. Here are some tips so you can get rid of slugs in your garden as soon as possible.
The use of traps to get rid of slugs
- Cornmeal. With two tablespoons of corn flour in a jar you will attract slugs by the smell of the flour. The slugs will want to eat it but it will be a cruel meal as it will kill them.
- Beer. Slugs like beer, even low-quality ones. Dig a hole in the ground and put a mug of beer in it. The next morning you will find the drowned slugs inside. Do this every day until there are no slugs left in your garden.
Using deterrents to get rid of slugs
- The salt. If you spread salt where you see that the slugs are sliding, they will simply dry up. You can place a barrier of salt around your plants so that the slugs do not get through.
- Sand. If you pour some regular sand over the soil in your garden (but don’t mix it into the soil) it will act as a nasty barrier for slugs (which love moisture), they’ll have a hard time crawling.
Using predators to get rid of slugs
- insects There are insects that can get rid of slugs. For example beetles are natural predators and will kill slug eggs. The beetles will not harm your plants, they will only kill the slug eggs.
- The birds. Birds, in addition to being good companions in the garden, are the largest natural predator of slugs, as are ducks, chickens and any other species of birds.
- The toads. Toads can also help you get rid of slugs as they eat them. But to have toads you will have to provide a good home like a good lake or pond.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to get rid of slugs in your gardenwe recommend that you enter our Garden Care category.
Leave a Comment