Some of the products that we use in our daily lives for domestic use can act as fungicides and help us eliminate inopportune microbiological attacks such as those of fungi. To make it easier for you, in this EcologíaVerde article, we show you what are the best homemade fungicides and ecological that you can easily prepare at home to treat your plants, both indoors and outdoors.
These natural fungicides will be useful against fungal infections in your orchard or garden such as rust, powdery mildew, canker, leprosy, mildew and botrytis. Use them as indicated and the brown and white spots will disappear from your plants, looking healthy again.
The best homemade fungicides
To begin, from EcologíaVerde we will tell you about some of the the best homemade fungicidestotally natural and ecological:
- Rue: It is a medicinal plant whose extract has an antifungal function. Controls anthracnose, a disease that appears as dark lesions on both stem and leaves.
- Papaya: It stands out for its fungicidal effects, which is why it is often used a lot in vegetables. It is very effective in controlling mildew and rust.
- Peroxide: It not only serves to clean bleeding wounds, it is also useful against fungi, especially mildew. To do this, 150 cc must be mixed with 40 liters of water and distributed throughout the plant.
- Onion: if used whole it has an incredible effect on powdery mildew, especially on young plants. It is applied both when the seed sprouts and when it is in the growth phase. The mixture is usually 500 grams of onion for every 10 liters of water.
- Thyme: Just like papaya, its active ingredient is capable of acting as a very effective fungicide.
- Garlic: homemade fungicide with garlic is used in the form of an infusion. Mix 75 grams of garlic with 10 liters of water and apply very early in the morning or when the sun sets. Its action degrades with the sun and high temperatures.
- Horse tail: however, the most prized plant of all is the horsetail. It contains a high level of silica and that makes it a great fungicide against fungi such as powdery mildew, mildew or rust. It is usually used as a curative or preventive mode. One kilo of horsetail is mixed with 10 liters of water.
Next, we show you more options of homemade organic fungicides depending on the type of plant or trees to be treated.
How to make a fungicide with milk and baking soda
These are two super effective natural ingredients against fungal pests in the garden and orchard. Bicarbonate has highly antiseptic and healing properties, to heal plant injuries in which the plague is, and milk is a powerful fungicide, thanks to lactic acid. If you have these two ingredients, go ahead and try this homemade and natural fungicide recipe with milk and baking soda for plants. Very easy!
Ingredients for 1 liter of homemade fungicide
- 200 ml of cow’s milk, preferably skimmed because the important thing is the lactic acid and not the fat in the cream.
- 800 ml of water (leave tap water for two days or use rainwater or bottled water.
- 20 g of sodium bicarbonate for each liter of fungicide that you are going to make.
- To start preparing this organic fungicide, you will need to find a container of the right size, in this case we will make one liter and we recommend a slightly larger container to mix well. Preferably look for a spray bottle.
- Pour the water first, then the milk and, finally, the baking soda in the indicated proportions.
- Close the jar or container and shake it well so that the ingredients are integrated.
- It should be applied two days in a row and not just once. It is always better to do it at sunset, to prevent the sun from burning the leaves when they are wet.
- It is also recommended to repeat the application once a week to completely eliminate the fungi, applying the mixture both above and below the leaves, covering the entire plant. On the other hand, to prevent a relapse once the plant has healed, it is advisable to apply the mixture every two weeks, until we are sure that there are no more fungi or in the soil.
Learn more about this homemade fungicide for plants in this other article about How to make homemade fungicide with baking soda.
The best homemade fungicides for tomatoes
Tomatoes are very common in gardens, and now also in urban gardens and even in pots thanks to the cherry variety. However, they are also one of the plants that is more likely to suffer from fungi, such as powdery mildew, due to the denser area of leaves that remains close to the ground.
If you have tomato or tomato plants with fungus, worry no more. take note of what are the best homemade and organic fungicides for tomatoes:
- Baking soda
- Essential oils
- compost tea
So that you know well how to use each one and have more information about fungi in tomato plants, we recommend this other article from EcologíaVerde about homemade fungicides for tomatoes.
Homemade fungicides for fruit trees
Other of the most sought-after home fungicides, especially by those who have orchards and large gardens, are the most effective for fruit trees. If this is your case, we recommend you try these natural products to combat fungi in fruit treesvery effective both in citrus, which are the most common, and in other types of fruit:
- Apple vinager
- Baking soda
- The technique of the absence of water, which is an ecological way of eliminating fungi in trees, but care must be taken that it does not affect their growth.
Thus, if you are looking for, for example, a homemade fungicide for lemon trees and you want to know how to use it correctly, we recommend you read this other article in which we explain in detail the homemade fungicides for fruit trees.
Homemade fungicides for orchids
Orchids can be difficult plants to care for, as they are delicate. For this reason, it is easy that if there are errors in its irrigation and we allow enough water or humidity to be retained in its roots, fungi appear in this part of the plant and little by little they spread to the rest of the orchid. If you have this problem, take note of the best homemade fungicides for fungi in orchids:
- cornmeal tea
- Baking soda
Learn more about them and their correct application in this article on homemade fungicides for orchids.
How to make homemade fungicides for cacti
Cacti are one of the easiest plants to care for because they hardly need care, including a good location, with the right light, temperature and ventilation, a good and light substrate and some water from time to time. However, sometimes they can get sick, especially when they do not receive enough light and if we exceed their watering. This is when fungi can appear and, in this case, we recommend using a ecological fungicide.
Among the most effective and efficient ingredients to make homemade fungicides for cacti we highlight:
- Cinnamon powder
- chamomile tea
- Milk or buttermilk
- Sodium bicarbonate
- horsetail tea
If you want to learn more about these natural products to eliminate this type of pest in cacti, read this other article in which we give you the best homemade fungicides for cacti.
If you want to read more articles similar to homemade fungicideswe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment