Popularly known by the name of gloxinia, this plant belongs to the Gesneriaceae family and the Sinningia genus, made up of some 60 species of perennial and herbaceous tuberous plants. They have their origin in most tropical areas of Americaespecially in Brazil, and you can find it in almost any store, both as a cultivated specimen and for planting at home.
If you want to know all the gloxinia care, do not miss this EcologíaVerde article. Your plant will grow bigger than ever.
How are the gloxinias
is a small herbaceous plant with tuberous root that at most reaches 40 centimeters in height, with fleshy and oval leaves that are presented in a rosette. They have beautiful flowers that measure about 10 centimeters and are bell-shaped, with velvety petals that can be in different colors.
It is a flowering plant both in summer and in autumnalthough in some species they can also do so at another time of the year.
You should know that to properly care for this plant you have to take into account the following:
- Location: It has to be in a very well lit place but without receiving direct sunlight. It is perfect for interiors.
- Temperature: like any other tropical plant, it does not resist the cold, so the ideal is that it can be at least at 20ºC throughout the year.
- I usually: it must be a mixture of equal parts of leaf soil, sand and leaves, and it is convenient to plant it when winter is over to be safe from the cold.
- Irrigation: must be very regular during flowering, being careful not to wet neither the leaves nor the flowers. After flowering, reduce watering until eliminated when the leaves have turned yellow.
- Pruning: it does not need it, the only thing is that you remove the flowers that wither.
- Pass: apply a mineral fertilizer every 15 days during the flowering season.
- Plagues and diseases: if you go too far with watering, it can easily be attacked by aphids and various fungi.
- Multiplication: it can be done by dividing the tubers, from seeds or by cuttings of leaves, but the latter is only recommended for experts.
If you want to read more articles similar to Gloxinia carewe recommend that you enter our category .
Leave a Comment